Quick Pickled Cha Cha (Chow Chow)
An easy quick pickled take on a classic southern condiment—you'll want to put this relish on everything.
QUICK PICKLED CHACHA (CHOWCHOW)
A quarter wedge of green cabbage, small chopped
2 green tomatoes or 6 tomatillos, chopped
¼ cup each green, red, and yellow bell pepper, diced
Half red onion, diced
Half jalapeno seeded and diced (add more or less depending on the heat level you want. optional if you don’t want the heat)
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
⅛ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon celery seed
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional if you don’t want the heat)
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon mustard
½ cup of rice vinegar
½ cup apple cider vinegar
⅓ cup of water
¼ cup sugar plus more to taste if you want your relish a little sweeter
1. Toss cabbage, green tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, and all seasonings in a large bowl until all of the vegetables are coated
2. Add both vinegars, water, and sugar to a pot and heat until sugar is dissolved.
3. Divide cha cha mixture in glass jars of choice and spoon liquid over until cha cha is submerged. Let cool at least an hour. Cover and chill in the refrigerator.
4. Cha cha can be eaten the "day of" after it has chilled. For best flavor, let the cha cha sit in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours so flavors can marry.
5. This is a refrigerator quick pickle relish and not shelf-stable. This quick pickle cha cha can last in the refrigerator for 3-4 weeks.
6. Add to your salads, greens, beans, hot dogs, and hummus.