Herb-Buttermilk Roasted Chicken & Potatoes
HERB-BUTTERMILK ROASTED CHICKEN & POTATOES
1 ½ lbs bone/skin-on chicken thighs (5-6 pieces, trim visible fat)
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 sprigs of thyme + plus 1 teaspoon, chopped
2 sprigs of rosemary + plus 1 teaspoon, chopped
1 teaspoon dried sage
½ teaspoon paprika
3 cloves of garlic, skin removed and smashed
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1 ½ teaspoons salt + 1 teaspoon
1 teaspoon pepper
1 pound baby potatoes, halved ( gold, red, or fingerlings)
1. Place chicken, garlic, 2 sprigs thyme, and 2 sprigs rosemary in a large freezer bag.
2. In a bowl, mix together buttermilk, 2 tablespoons oil (half of the ¼ cup), sage, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, paprika, and maple syrup. Pour into the freezer bag and squish around to coat the chicken. Seal bag and let marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours and up to 2 days (preferred for best flavor).
3. Once the chicken has marinated, take out of the refrigerator, shake off the marinade, put on a wire rack so the excess marinade can drip off. Let sit for a 30minutes-1 hour to get the chicken to room temperature.
4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Add 2 tablespoons oil to a large cast-iron skillet or rimmed baking and place in the oven to heat.
5. In a bowl add potatoes, 2 tablespoons of oil, and remaining salt and pepper
6. Remove the hot baking dish from the oven; carefully add the potatoes and spread in an even layer. Drizzle chicken with remaining oil and place on top of potatoes.
7. Roast for 35-37 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees. Remove chicken from skillet and let rest at least 10 minutes.
8. If potatoes still need a little time, pop back in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Potatoes should be tender but have crispy bits.